Kenya has beautiful lakes for weekend getaways. You can choose a destination based on your interests. You can choose Lake Nakuru for bird watching. You can choose Lake Naivasha for wildlife viewing. If you want to enjoy fishing, you can choose Lake Victoria. Here, we identify good places for great lakes weekend getaways in Kenya.
Great lakes weekend getaways
Naivasha is a perfect place for great lakes weekend getaways. It is about 2 hours from Nairobi. The area has several tourist destinations such as Lake Naivasha. The lake has enough attractions for a weekend getaway. There are a lot of activities that you can do here. Some of these activities include;
- Wildlife viewing: Lake Naivasha is rich in wildlife. It is home to over 1,500 hippos. This means you are almost guaranteed of seeing a hippo. The rich flora around the lake attracts other animals too. Expect to see animals such as monkeys, giraffes, antelope, buffalo, and warthog.
- Bird watching: Lake Naivasha is home to over 400 bird species. Some of the common birds are giant kingfishers, African fish eagles, and pelicans. You may need to wake up early for beautiful scenery. This is especially important if you want to take clear shots.
- Boat trips: To spot animals closely, you can choose boat trips. Most visitors go on boat trips to see hippos.
- Nature walks: You can choose to walk on Crescent Island in the lake. Expect to walk among animals such as impalas, zebras, and giraffes. You may also spot a leopard.
You can visit Lake Naivasha any time of the year. You don’t have to worry about accommodation. You will have many options around the lake.
You can stay in the luxurious Chui Lodge. The lodge has free parking, a pool, a lounge, and other facilities. Guests report an unforgettable safari experience.
You can stay in a mid-lodge such as Sopa Lodge. It is less expensive. You may also choose a budget accommodation such as Camp Carnelley’s. There are enough lodges around for the best weekend getaways in Naivasha. It is a perfect place for weekend getaways in Kenya 2022.
- Lake Nakuru- Great lakes weekend getaway
Lake Nakuru is among the best weekend getaways in Kenya. There are a lot of activities to do at the lake. Some of these activities include;
- Bird watching. Lake Nakuru is famous for its birdlife. It is home to thousands of pink flamingoes. The best time to see these animals is during the dry season. This is mostly January and February. The lake is also home to over 450 other species of birds.
- Wildlife viewing. Lake Nakuru harbors about 56 species of mammals. You can see animals such as waterbucks and white rhinos.
- Enjoy waterfalls. You can visit Makalia Falls. It offers a spectacular sight.
- Game drive. Travelers go on a safari to experience nature. Lake Nakuru National Park offers an amazing safari experience.
Accommodation is readily available around Lake Nakuru. You can stay in Naishi Guest House. It is located within the Lake Nakuru National Park. It can accommodate about 8 people. Guests enjoy game viewing and bird watching.
There are other available accommodations such as Sarova Lion Hill. You can also choose campsites such as Chui, Reedbuck, and Naishi campsites.
- Lake Bogoria
For the great lakes weekend getaway, you can choose Lake Bogoria. It is in the north of Nakuru. It is a soda lake with high levels of minerals and salt. It is home to thousands of flamingos. This is because of its blue-green algae. Visitors enjoy bird watching, a naturally heated pool, and bush dinners. You can stay in hotels such as the Spa Resort or lodges.
- Lake Elementeita
This is an ideal place for the great lakes weekend getaway. It is a soda lake. It is home to over 400 species of birds. It is famous for flamingos. It is in a protected area to conserve birdlife. It is known for the Kikopey hot springs. Expect activities such as game drives around the lake. Other common activities include exploring the hot springs, bird watching, biking, and nature walks. There are many accommodations around the lake. They range from lodges such as Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge to camps. It is a perfect place for cheap weekend getaways outside Nairobi.
- Lake Magadi
For the best weekend getaways in Kenya, you can choose Lake Magadi. It is about 3-hour drive from Nairobi. It is in the southern part of Kenya. It is best for camping, bird watching, and nature walks. The lake is famous for wading birds. Expect to see pelicans and flamingos. Some common animals include lions, hyenas, antelopes, giraffes, and ostriches. There are many options for accommodation. You can stay in lodges such as Acacias Tree Lodge. You can also choose tented camps such as Lake Magadi Tented Camp. Lake Magadi offers cheap weekend getaways outside Nairobi.
- Lake Victoria
Lake Victoria is good for weekend getaways in Kenya 2022. It is located in Nyanza. It is a freshwater lake. You can visit Ruma National Park, which is on the shores of the lake. While on the lake, you can enjoy bird watching. The lake is rich in birdlife. You can enjoy fishing. This may involve catching Nile Perch Fish. You can also enjoy game drives. Other common activities include nature walks and quad biking. You can visit the lake any time of the year. But the cool-dry season is the best. This may be from July to October. There are a lot of places to choose from for accommodation. You can choose Rusinga Island Lodge or Mfangano Camp. They offer affordable and quality accommodation. You can also choose other places such as Impala Eco Lodge among others.
- Lake Turkana
Turkana is also a good place for great lakes weekend getaways in Kenya. The lake is identified as a great bird area. It is home to over 84 species of water birds. It supports over 14,000 Nile crocodiles. Other common mammals include zebras, lions, and hippos. The lake also supports over 60 fish species. During a visit to the lake, you can enjoy wildlife viewing and bird watching. Also, you don’t have to worry about accommodation here. You can stay in Oasis Lodge. It is close to the lake. You can also choose from Malabo, Eliye Springs Resort, and Desert Rose among others.
We have listed the 7 best places for great lakes weekend getaways. But this is not a full list. Kenya has a lot to offer for weekend getaways. These are just some of the destinations that you may consider.