Africa is the top destination for viewing wildlife. You can view wildlife in the land or air. But you can do the same on the water. This post focuses on African canoe safaris. Read on and learn a different way of viewing wild animals in Africa. It is not just a unique experience but also relaxing.
African Canoe Safaris
African canoeing is an alternative to the vehicle or air safaris. Usually, tourists use safari vehicles to see wildlife. You can use a Jeep or a safari van. Other tourists prefer air safaris. They see wildlife from above. All these experiences are great. You enjoy seeing diverse wildlife.
For a unique experience, you can choose African canoe safaris. Some will call them boat safaris. They are great for getting closer to wildlife. Tourists enjoy closer views of hippos, crocodiles, and birds in the water. Along the banks of rivers are other many species of animals. You can see elephants, antelopes, giraffes, and zebras taking water.
African canoeing is also smoother compared to vehicle safaris. You avoid bumpy roads. You also enjoy a noise-free safari.
Types of African Canoe Safaris
There are several types of African canoe safaris. You can choose any of these;
- Full canoe safaris. You can enjoy a full participation safari. It is cheaper. Your carry your bags in the boats. After the safari, you camp beside a river or on an island. Your guide will take care of the meals. Your ‘driver’, the canoeist, will fetch water and clean the camp. Don’t worry about mosquitos. Camps have mosquito nets. It is a unique and fun experience.
- Backed-up canoe safaris. These safaris offer luxury and comfort. You will have a crew supporting you during the safari. You will rest in a large tented camp. You can walk or use a vehicle to break for the safari. You also enjoy high-quality meals.
- Special canoe safaris. There are safaris for children. An expert guide accompanies the children. You can choose canoe and walking safaris. You get to enjoy both activities. You can choose photography safaris. You can choose canoe trails. These are short canoeing safaris. They can be as short as an afternoon or a day.
Best places for African Canoe Safari
Canoeing in Kenya
Kenya has some great places for short canoeing. One of these places is Lake Nakuru. The lake is rich in wildlife. Tourists enjoy closer views of pink flamingos and other bird species. Tourists also see hippos, buffaloes, giraffes, waterbucks, and impalas. Boat safaris offer a unique and relaxing safari experience. These safaris are available across the year. You can book a full or half-day safari.
You can enjoy canoe trails in other places in Kenya. These include Lake Naivasha, Lake Bogoria, and Lake Turkana among others.
You can enjoy canoeing in Momella Lake. It is located in Arusha NP. Tourists see animals such as waterbucks, giraffes, and buffaloes. They watch over 600 bird species. They also enjoy views of Mount Kilimanjaro. You can canoe in other places such as Lakes Manyara, Eyasi, and Challa.
Canoeing in Uganda
Uganda has some great places for canoeing. The Nile River is one of these places. It offers the best way to explore Africa. You can book a 1 or 2-day safari. You will have enough time to explore the longest river in the world.
It is one of the best destinations for African canoe safaris. Most people canoe the river in Zambia and Zimbabwe. Many camps in this region offer canoeing safaris. These include;
- Sausage Tree camp. It is located within the Lower Zambezi NP. It is also along the banks of the river. You can enjoy game viewing on land using safari vehicles. But you can also do the same on the water. Visitors can use canoes or boats. Safety is given priority. Guides have proper training. Your safety is guaranteed.
Canoe safaris can take an hour. You can do this after a game drive. You don’t need any experience to enjoy the safari. You can enjoy a 7-hour canoe safari. You can also choose a full-day safari. Expect an unbeatable experience.
- Royal Zambezi Lodge. You can enjoy African canoe safaris in the lodge. The safari can take 2 to 3 hours in the Zambezi River. You can combine canoeing with walking or game driving.
It is a great place for African canoe safaris. Tourists canoe through the Okavango Delta. You can choose morning or evening canoe safaris. Selinda camp offers luxury canoe safaris.
Botswana 5-day safari
You can book a 5-day safari in Botswana. You will enjoy land and water safaris. This is a great chance to see amazing wildlife. You will enjoy game drives as well as canoeing in the Okavango Delta.
You can also choose a 1-day safari. You will enjoy full-day canoeing in the Boro River, Botswana. But you can combine canoeing with walks and hikes.
African canoe safaris offer a unique experience. You enjoy closer views of wild animals. You avoid the noises of safari vehicles. You avoid bumpy roads common during game drives. Canoe safaris are smooth, relaxing, and fun. You can combine canoeing with other safari activities. These activities include game drives, nature walks, balloon safaris, and horse riding among others.
Do you want to enjoy African canoe safaris? Book your safari today. Feel free to reach out for any help. We can help you plan a great adventure.